Tips for Building a Home Bar
At Sloane’s Carpet Secret, we know how impactful a little do-it-yourself initiative can be to the enjoyment quality of your home. In pursuit of making your home more livable, it’s time to impress all your friends and family by building a home bar. Building a bar from scratch may sound tough, but we have a few tips to make it less intimidating! Before you get started, be sure you have a nice amount of space set aside and the appropriate tools.
Layout Design to Consider
- We highly recommend that you build your bar to the standard height of 42 inches. You can certainly build it either taller or shorter, but this will make construction, as well as shopping for stools later on, more complicated.
- Your overhang should be a minimum of 8 inches. You can certainly go beyond that based on personal preference and how much leg room you want.
- As you create your bar, keep in mind the length that you want. This is partially dependent upon how many stools you will want to have as well. Standard spacing between stools is 2 feet, but if you have the room, 2.5 feet is better.
- You’ll also want to put some thought into the type of wood you want. As you make your selection, keep in mind any carpet or wood that is nearby. You don’t want your new bar to clash with the floors! This also applies to the stools you plan on purchasing.
What to Include
- It is inevitable that drinks will spill on your bar countertop, so invest in good molding. This will keep any spilled liquid from falling onto you and your guests’ laps.
- Buy cheaper glasses. There’s no point in buying classy glassware. People are clumsy, chances are you’ll have to buy new cups every year if you use the bar a lot. Start inexpensive since no one is really going to care or notice anyway.
- Buy the alcohol! Celebrate finishing your bar by purchasing all of the fixings needed for a good time. Remember, you can always make your bar kid-friendly too by supplying sparkling cider, root beer and more. Your home bar is limitless and you can take it in any direction you want.
How to Use this Information
What better time to start a new project than in the summer? We hope you’ll have fun creating your new home bar and turning it into a social space for friends and family. When it comes to indoor projects, we know how much thought goes into the process. If you also need a new carpet during your remodel, please call us at 303-300-9555 or contact us online.
Tell us about the special features you plan to add to your bar.